Friday, March 19, 2010

Can Jam March - Allium

The third Can Jam challenge of the year was allium.
I was happy, because I have lots of garlic left over from last year's garden .
I also had 2 Copra onions from last year's garden that I was saving for something special.
Something special like Onion Garlic Jam!
This is seriously good stuff.
When I'm cooking something and I really like it, this is what I say to myself, "Mmmm, oh yeah. This is some seriously good stuff. I'll just try a little more."
Onion Garlic Jam
4 cups cooked garlic/onion puree -For texture if desired, reserve 1 cup onions cooked, but unpureed
4 cups brown sugar
3 cups vinegar
2 Tbs salt
1 pkg no sugar needed pectin
Variety of home grown garlic.

Garlic bulbs ready for roasting in a 400F degree oven, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt.



My 2 normal large sized onions and a JUMBO onion from the grocery store.
It was huge!




Slicing up a Copra onion. It is amazing how well these onions store through the winter. This onion is over 6 months old.



More onion slicing.





Cooking the onion slices with a little butter and salt.
The salt breaks the cell walls in the onions and helps them release more water.
Less water = more onion flavored jam.





Roasted garlic ready for pureeing.









All the ingredients in the pot ready to be boiled up.






Bring everything to a boil and then add pectin.
Return to a boil and continue cooking for 1 min at a rolling boil that can't be stirred down.
I cooked mine for about 5 mins at a rolling boil, because I wanted a very firm jam.


Pectin added - reboiling.




Pour into sterilized jars and adjust 2 piece tops.
Process in a boiling water bath canner for 15 mins.




This post to me a ridiculously long time to write, because I have a new fur baby distraction.
Tansy!




I also worked 7 out of the last 8 days..........my one day off? I made jam! LOL













4 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds awesome! I like that it looks a bit 'chunkier' than other garlic jams/jellies I have seen. Yum!
    Oh, and the new bunny is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the bunny is sooooo cute! Which breed is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. meg- Thanks!

    ap269 - I think whe is a mixed breed, but I don't know what breeds. Maybe, snugglecuddlebunny breed! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete